Manovich Reading Response – Madeline Farace –

Manovich starts out the article by saying “With computers we can visualize much larger data sets; to create visualizations which are dynamic; to feed in real-time data”. Visually representing data connects to art and an artists statement more than one would think. Being able to conceptually and visually design a concept is hard and when executed well, something becomes artistic. Manovich states how visualization impacts medicine and the science side of things saying, “Modern medicine relies on visualization of body and its functioning; modern biology similarly is dependent on visualization of DNA and proteins”. This made me refer back to what the difference and similarities of visualization and mapping is. Manovich clarifies that “the term visualization is the situations when quantified data which by itself is not visual; and mapping is thought of representing all data using the same numerical code. Visualization then can be thought of as a particular subset of mapping in which a data set is mapped into an image. He then states that all representational art would fit under the umbrella of mapping. I found this interesting and sought to find out what hid definition of representational art is. Thinking of creating a concept and boiling everything down into one narrative or single image is something that fits into a mapping category. However what if an art piece has multiple narratives? does this now not fit into the mapping category? This then made me think of other forms of art that don’t include 2d media. Can acting or dance be thought of as mapping or even visualization? It has the potential to explore one narrative (or many)  and can provide an artistic structure. However the conversation was brought to new media and what it explores with mapping and visualization. Re- mapping was brought up and described as new however the idea that museums existing for a long time ringed a bell in my mind. I feel that museums have been storing mapping and re mapping knowledge regarding art pieces for as long as they have existed. Time being mapped into space was an interesting point that Manocich was talking about when referencing cinema art. I never thought about it in this way and it was an interesting way of thinking that got me asking questions. If this is mapping time within space, how would audio be looked at? Because my first thought would be that it is looked at in the same way: mapping time in space. however, there could be an argument saying that audio isn’t really mapping time bur rather something else; and if so what would be the something else? He describes this as meta media saying that it pulls together language and meta language which ultimately proves that audio would be apart of this grouping. The idea that digital art being described as meta media is cool to me as well. Because it isn’t much different than the “old art” that he is referencing, but it is the mapping component that keeps its difference. I suppose that the mapping in digital art is the use of a computer finding where a user wants to make a mark and having a grid type of thinking in the actual design of the interface in order for the action to be accurate within the software. Data visualization artists mapping concepts and ideas and things into existence is something that hit home for me. It put this in prospective of why this is being done and answers the “how”; Manovich calls this the anti-sublime.  If an artist cares enough about a topic to want to bring awareness to it in the art world or just to the world in general through their art, the idea of “mapping it in” is very cool. I never thought of conversions and concepts to be mapable but this proves me wrong and gives me a whole new lens to look through. The question of diluting the value was brought up when talking about the ease of mapping computers and the internet provides. I think this is a valid point that holds truth but without freedom in the arts to let anyone put their stuff out there, it becomes a conversation of what is art and who defines it. Which in turn is a bigger battle than the latter. He closes this conversation off with this comment, “For me, the real challenge of data art is not about how to map some abstract and impersonal data into something meaningful and beautiful – economists, graphic designers, and scientists are already doing this quite well. The more interesting and at the end maybe more important challenge is how to represent the personal subjective experience of a person living in a data society.” I think it concludes all of the topics brought up very well and in turn provides the reader with a fire in their heart to express their artistic subjective while living in this data oriented society; at least it did for me.